Saturday, December 18, 2010

No more TV

I've decided to take another step towards improving the quality of my life: giving up my TV!!!

The implications
Aside from donating my 42" LCD 1080p TV to my grandparents to replace their aging TV, I also am donating my DVD player, and the hardest donation: my PS3.  Someone in my family will be the lucky recipient of my PS3: 2 wireless controllers, 3 games (rock band, call of duty 4, and grand theft auto 4).  Consequently, I've also downgraded my Netflix account from a 3-at-a-time BluRay plan for $23.99 down to the online only viewing plan for $7.99.


Why are you ditching your entertainment center?
Because it was a real time waster for me.  There was a period in my life when I didn't own a TV, and I was such an avid reader.  But then I got a big LCD TV, and TV is always an easier choice than reading to relax, and over the years reading became less of a desire.

It all comes down to willpower, and I don't have it when temptations are in my home.  I've noticed this weakness in myself even in other aspects of my life: like eating right, or exercising.  When an easier/simpler choice is available, I always prefer that to the better choice.  Going to exercise is a harder choice than sitting at home.  Eating fruits and veggies is a harder choice than eating potato chips and ice cream.  But the harder option is usually the better option.

1 comment:

  1. How’s the new year treating you?

    I am aggressively expanding the team at Scout Advertising (formerly ThinkNear), saw your profile on Github, and thought I would reach out to connect.

    We currently have 5 guys wearing all of the tech hats. We do almost everything in the cloud with AWS and heroku. We have 4 main layers: Hadoop/Hive, High Service Java (1TB a day), Java and Ruby on Rails, and then Javascript and Ajax on the front. We are adding 7 to our team by June and then will be around 20 total within 3 years, so this is a great time to join up. We also have openings on the non-technical side as well.

    We have about 14 total in the office right now and are moving into a spacious 12000sq ft space near downtown Culver City, Los Angeles, CA…just a mile or so from the beach! We will be doubling our team ASAP in order to fill out that space!

    I’d love to hear about you and what you are doing these days…when can we connect on the phone to chat in more detail?

    Lane Aikin
    Recruiter, Scout Advertising
    Telenav Inc
    7753435404

    P.S. You can find more news/info about us and our recent acquisition below!

    http://advertising.scout.me/

    http://www.telenav.com/about/career/open-position.html?jvi=ouISWfwK,job

    http://streetfightmag.com/2012/10/18/transaction-overview-telenav-acquires-thinknear/

    ReplyDelete